This summer (that three days in August) marked the 50th anniversary of the Summer of Love, a period when the great unwashed descended on San Francisco inn all their tie-dyed glory. To celebrate the anniversary, TEAC has released a certifiably psychedelic TN-420 turntable.
Beneath the eye-catching exterior, this 2-speed turntable combines a high density MDF base with an expertly machined aluminium platter to deliver incredible resonance rejection, speed control and, most importantly, audio fidelity. And for easy connection to virtually any audio system, the TN-420 features switchable Phono/Line level outputs on RCA connectors as well as a digital output (via USB) for easy connection to a Mac or PC for playback and/or archiving of your favourite LPs.
The attention-grabbing appearance of the TN-420 is achieved through a modern hydro-graphics printing process and adds a groovy touch to any music room. Underneath the amazing aesthetic is a high density MDF cabinet designed to minimise unwanted resonance during playback.
The high inertia aluminium die-cast platter is driven by a high-torque DC motor with a durable Neoprene rubber belt to achieve stable rotation. In addition, highly accurate rotation of the platter is maintained by a polished spindle (machined from a stainless steel block) contained within a durable bronze spindle holder.
An on-board analogue-to-digital converter from Texas Instruments allows you to transfer music via USB to your PC and to create high quality back-ups of your favourite albums. In addition, a pair of gold-plated RCA connectors are employed to ensure an excellent connection with your other components.
The TEAC TN-420 is available now at £329.
• 2-speed Turntable including 33-1/3 and 45 RPM for LP/EP record playback
• Unique ‘Tie-Dye’ finish
• Built-in phono equaliser amplifier for MM type cartridge (Line/Phono output switchable)
• USB digital output for transferring music from vinyl to Mac or PC
• Belt-drive turntable for enhanced speed control and consistency
• Manual arm lifter for direct tone arm control
• Static balanced S-shaped Tone Arm
• Replaceable headshell
• Anti-skating system prevents tracking errors
• Heavyweight Aluminium Die-cast Platter
• Japanese-made MM-type cartridge (audio-technica AT95E) included
• Corrosion-resistant gold-plated terminals
• Unique ‘Tie-Dye’ colour design